The largest portfolios in the country are known under the name Premji and Associates. Former Wipro chairman Azim Premji is the brains behind Premji Associates, a business that ranks among India’s biggest IT firms. We shall briefly examine Azim Premji’s life and work in this article. Additionally, we’ll talk about the Portfolio Premji and Associates have developed over the past few years.
About Azim Premji
Azim Premji is the founder and current chairman of Wipro Limited and unofficially referred to as the Czar of the Indian IT sector. He led the company through four decades of diversification and growth to become a global leader in the software industry.
When the Indian government asked IBM to leave the country in 1979, Premji renamed the business Wipro and started to guide it towards the computer industry, which was earlier dealing in manufacturing of vegetable and refined oils. In the 1980s, Wipro formed a number of fruitful international alliances to aid in the development of computer hardware for the Indian market.
Wipro was guided by Premji as it expanded into a multibillion dollar company with operations in more than 50 countries. One of the most well-known and successful businessmen in India, he was included in TIME magazine’s list of the 100 most influential persons in the world.
Azim Premji is a well-known billionaire in India, with a net worth of $27.2 billion. According to corporate shareholdings disclosed for March 31, 2023, Premji and Associates publicly owns 3 stocks valued more than Rs. 146,836.1 Cr. Here in this article, we are going to discuss these stocks in detail.
Wipro has been a long-term asset in the Premji and Associates portfolio. When compared to the previous quarter, there has been a negative percentage change in holdings. The holdings have changed by -0.64%.
Premji and Associates have a big holding quantity of 3,99,78,35,444 and a holding value of 1,56,615.20 cr. on this stock. However, this holding value has not remained constant and has changed by up to -32.88% when compared to the previous year’s holding.
|Holders||Holding Percentage (%)||QTY HELD|
|AZIM H PREMJI||4.3%||236,815,234|
|AZIM PREMJI PHILANTHROPIC ASSOCIATION||0.3%||14,568,663|
|AZIM PREMJI TRUST||10.2%||558,663,0017|
|TOTAL HOLDING (as of March 2023)||72.9%||3,997,835,444|
The above-mentioned Zash Traders, Prazim Traders and Hasham are owned directly or indirectly by Azim H. Premji.
Balrampur Chini Mills Ltd
According to Balrampur Chini’s June holding pattern, Azim Premji Trust has acquired 25,23,641 equity shares, or a 1.24 percent position in the company. According to trendlyne.com, the philanthropist’s firm purchased these shares for more than Rs 96.2 crore.
|HOLDER||HOLDING %||QTY HELD|
|AZIM PREMJI TRUST||1.3%||2,523,641|
Tube Investments of India Ltd
Tube Investments of India Ltd is another significant stock in the Premji and Associates Portfolio. According to the stock holding pattern, Premji and Associates have reduced their stake in this stock.
In the fourth quarter of 2020, the stock was added to the portfolio. Starting with a holding value of 1,032.40 cr. and a quantity of 54,66,720, this stock has played an important role in increasing its value.
The ownership was 3.0% in June 2021, and it has gradually decreased to 1.5% in the first quarter of June 2022.
|HOLDER||HOLDING %||QTY HELD|
|AZIM PREMJI TRUST||1.5%||2,808,929|
Premji’s Investment Mantras
- Diversification: Despite the fact that their investment portfolio has remained secret, it is claimed to be a unique combination of companies from industries such as technology, eCommerce, financial services, retail, fashion, healthcare, consumer goods, and so on.
- Long-term View: Premji is a methodical investor who takes the long view while investing in corporations. He prefers making investments in companies that have a strong business model, an experienced management team, and a clear path to success.
- Trend Investing: Besides the long-term view, premji seeks those stocks which are in popularity or whose demand is going to increase in the near future. By keeping view on this principle, premji have acquired around 1.3% share of Balrampur Chini, as the demand of ethanol amid rising crude oil prices is increasing and will exponentially increase in coming financial years.
- Promoting Sustainability: Premji is a staunch advocate of investing ethically. He makes investments in companies that value diversity, sustainability, and social responsibility. He believes that businesses that prioritize these ideas would fare better in the long run.
- Value Based Investment: Premji’s Investment principle is based upon buying those stocks which are undervalued or whose price is below its intrinsic value and at the same time the stock has a solid foundation and is expected to grow exponentially in future.
Azim Premji is renowned for his generosity and modesty in addition to being one of India’s wealthiest persons. Premji and Associates’ net worth has had ups and downs over the years. When the net worth graph from 2017 is taken into account, there is a notable high in June 2021 to Rs. 2,19,255.59 cr., followed by a gradual dip to Rs. 1,66,847.15 cr. in June 2022, and then a sudden rise to Rs. 338,776.2 cr. in September 2022. The following is a graph of Premji and Associates’ net worth from that year.